Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A little background info


For those who are not familiar with Bikram Yoga, it is a form of hot hatha yoga.  The 90-minute yoga class consists of 26 postures practiced in a heated room (ideally 105 degrees and 40% humidity).  There are countless benefits to practicing in the heat.  Detoxification through sweating occurs instantly, flushing all of the glands and organs in your body. The heat keeps your muscles warm and loose, which is optimal for stretching.  It also thins the blood and flushes veins and arteries, lowering cholesterol.  The list goes on and on…



I’ve been practicing Bikram Yoga for about a year and a half.  I was looking for something different to add to my workout routine to increase flexibility while maintaining a cardiovascular workout.  Shortly after starting my practice I realized the profound impact it had on my day-to-day life and started thinking about teaching. It is something I could do at any stage in my life, in addition to another job or not.  I did some research and set my intentions to attend the Fall 2010 training.

The training will be held in San Diego, CA.  I will spend 9 weeks living at the Town and Country Resort and learning everything I can to be able to teach others the benefits of the yoga. 

Here is what my schedule will be like from Sept 19 until Nov 20th:

MONDAY-FRIDAY
8:30- 10:00a.m - Bikram Yoga Class
10:00-12:15- Lunch Break
12:15-4:00- Posture Clinic/ Lectures
5:00-6:30- Bikram Yoga Class
6:30-9:00- Dinner
9:00- WHENEVER-Posture Clinic/Lecture

SATURDAY
8:00-9:30a.m-Bikram Yoga Class

SUNDAY
  DAY OF REST!!!!

Generally, my night will conclude around 11 p.m or midnight.  When Bikram himself is in town, however, we can expect to stay until 2 or 3 a.m L I think I read a previous training blog where they were released at 5 a.m. one night/ morning.  The idea behind that madness is to force us to realize we can always make it through regardless of the situation, or lack of sleep!  For those who know me, you know I am a very spoiled sleeper! I can barely open my eyes with 7 hours a night and I’m very happy when I get 10.  So, needless to say, that is probably one of my biggest concerns heading into this training.  (I know... poor me J)

With amazing support from Jeremy, my family, friends and work, I will leave Sept 19th for San Diego!

No comments:

Post a Comment