Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 1

I am finally here in San Diego! I wouldn’t consider myself settled yet, but hope to be soon! I got in yesterday (to the hotel) about 5:30 p.m. Apparently there was some miscommunication and I missed orientation.  I had emailed to find out before and was told check in was 3 and orientation was 6.  Turns out missing it wasn’t as big of a deal as I thought.  There are nearly 400 students (yikes!) for this training.  It took such a loooong time to register and make I.D. cards for everyone that they stopped and were going to finish this morning. 
            Once I finally checked in, I met up with Dana (my roommate).  As I got to the room she was leaving to go down to the reception thing they were throwing for the trainees.  I literally dropped my bags and joined her down at one of the pool decks.  They had a smoothie bar for us plus TONS of fruit, hummus and pita and some various spreads.  The healthy food tasted so good after traveling all day!
            The plan for today was to meet at our lecture tent at 10 a.m. to finish orientation stuff then we have our first yoga class at 5 with Bikram himself!  We had some people speak about the do’s and don’t of training then Bikram came in for the first time to welcome us.  He is such a character.  He put me at ease completely and got me excited to get going with the whole process. He told us he knows how we are feeling, and will feel through the next nine weeks.  He explained that this first week we are probably wondering what we are doing here and just want to go home.  I literally laughed out loud when he said that because it is exactly how I feel.  I have been going and going and feel so unsettled with this process so far.  When I talk to Jeremy or my family it makes me want to be back home.  I know once I get into my routine I will be fine.  It’s all the unknowns right now that have me so nervous and unsettled.
            I just grabbed a quick sandwich down at the restaurant (because I have had NO time to make it the store yet) and we have a small break.  We have to go back down early for a welcome meeting from the mayor of San Diego.  He’s coming for a ribbon cutting ceremony to welcome Bikram Yoga.  Should be interesting.  Then it is straight in to our first class!

So here is a pic of my home for the next 9 weeks!  That's my bed by the balcony doors.  We got really lucky with our room.  We are in the Royal Palm Tower.  The parking lot of our tower is where we will be taking classes.  It took us 2 min to get out of our room and down the elevator to the check-in point! That is great news if I ever oversleep or if we have a really small break.  We also have a decent size balcony which is awesome.  We can't hang stuff over the railing, but can totally lay stuff/ mats down to dry!  Some other rooms don't have balconies, or even windows that open for that matter!

This is a view out our front door.  This will be my second home for the next nine weeks!  The large tent is where we will do all of our yoga classes.  There is a nurse's tent, a small store and changing areas attached off the back side.  The small tent off to the left is where we will have our lectures and whatnot.


You may notice Macy's in the background.  Right across the foot bridge in the parking lot is Fashion Valley Mall.  If there is something I forgot I can head over there.  There is also a trolly and light rail system right there.  That'll be convenient for our days off!  They are working on getting us shuttles.  They have 2 fifteen person vans that will be making loops on the weekends. We'll be able to get to Whole Foods, Target, Trader Joe's and Costco.  We have a laundry set up here, but might also have a stop on the shuttle route depending on volume of people using the laundry here.  That was probably the best news I had heard all day! Food is not included, but they are making the effort for it to be easy on us!

Have to go get ready for the very first class!  Bikram said to take it easy this first week and I am going to listen! It's been about a week and a half since I've been to class.  I can't wait to get back in there and loosen up and sweat it out!  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment